AOG-Clan Official Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
AOG-Clan Official Forum

Army of God Clan Official Forum

First time here? Or been awhile? Please check out the Welcome Post First!!!!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Install Linux on your PS3

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Install Linux on your PS3 Empty Install Linux on your PS3 Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:30 pm

AOG-Gideon

AOG-Gideon
Admin

What you will need.

• A computer with an internet connection & CD Burner.
  • One blank CD.
  • USB Drive, Thumb Drive, or Hard Drive, Any USB Storage device will work. FAT32 file structure.
  • USB keyboard
  • USB mouse
  • Ethernet cable CAT5 grade.

On the PS3;
Using the XMB menu bar, go to;
>Game >Trophy Collection >Press /\ (Triangle Button) to Sync your Torphy's with the PSN Server.
Insert your USB Drive into the PS3, Then go to;
Top Level of XMB Menu >Settings >System Settings> Backup Utility >Backup
Backup the entire PS3 to the USB Drive, usually takes about 30 minutes.
After Backup, remove the USB Drive, then go to,
>Settings >System Settings >Format >Custom (Alot 10 gigs to OtherOS) >Quick Format
Plug the Ethernet cable into the PS3 and into your router. If you don't have a router, then wait till after you burn the disk in the nest section.

On your computer;
Click PS3 Ubuntu Download to begin the download. Save it to your computer. It is over 4 gigs in size.
After download is complete, insert your blank CD into the drive and launch your Burning software. It will need to be able to make an ISO disk. I use Burn4Free, it is free and simple to use.
Burn the Ubuntu file you downloaded as an ISO.

Plug in the mouse and keyboard into the PS3, insert the ISO disk.
Go to;
>Settings >System Settings >Install Other OS
The system will find the disk and install Ubuntu on your PS3. DO NOT INTERUPT THE INSTALL.

Go to
>Settings >System Settings >Default System >Other OS
PS3 reboots and continues Linux Ubuntu install.

A couple penguins greet you;
This is an Ubuntu installation CDROM
built on 20081030.

If in doubt, just press Enter.

kboot: _

Pressing Enter will start the installation with the kernel loading the system. Never mind the usb error message(s), just let the installer start up.

IMPORTANT - When it prompts you to create a user name and password, WRITE IT DOWN. If you forget this, you will have done all this for nothing.

First choose a language for the installation process, then your geographical location.
The system can try to determine your keyboard or you can choose it from a list.
The CD ROM is scanned, and additional components are loaded.
If your PS3 is connected to the internet via cable, choose eth0: Ethernet. (unless you are using WEP encryption - wireless networks can be hard to configure from here.)
Enter a hostname for the system - like "psubuntu".
Disks and hardware is dectected. If asked if you want to Activate Serial ATA RAID devices just choose yes (anyone know why?).
When asked how to partition the disks, choose option 2: "Guided - use entire disk" (meaning the 10.7GB you formatted from the XMB in step 1∞).
On the overview screen, hit "Finish partitioning and write changes to disk". If asked to confirm, choose yes.
The partition is formatted and base system installed. It should take about 6 minutes.
Set up your user information (full name, username and password twice), and choose whether you would like to create a private encrypted directory for your user.
Unless you're using a proxy, leave the HTTP proxy information field blank (just hit enter).
The system will start installing software. It might appear to hang at 6%, but just give the installer time and it will move on. The process will take about an hour.
System clock - Yes to UTC.

You're done! The CD will automatically eject itself, but you have to manually take it out of its slot (if you don't, the PS3 will load it upon reboot). Hit Continue to boot into Ubuntu.

When you boot your PS3, it will go to the black screen with a command prompt.
kboot_ (cursor is here)
Press Enter - to load Ubuntu
or type
ps3-boot-game-os - to load your PS3 normally

You can have your PS3 always boot to Ubuntu or the PS3 by selecting >Settings >System Settings >Default System >Other OS or PS3 respectively.

You can find post installation tweaks by going to the
PSUbuntu Website.

You now have a computer. It can do just about anything that a normal computer can do.

This is where I stopped. I installed it, but haven't played with it, so any post install questions will be answered after I research the issue.

2Install Linux on your PS3 Empty Re: Install Linux on your PS3 Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:18 pm

AOG-HitmanSnipe

AOG-HitmanSnipe
Squad Lead

i will try it on my 80gb hdd soon as i get my disk coppied

3Install Linux on your PS3 Empty Re: Install Linux on your PS3 Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:10 am

Aog-Big_act

Aog-Big_act
Admin

it is rumored on the poker game i play that people can see your cards uaing this progam and people ay that some players cheat using this program so they can see ur cards.. wonder how

4Install Linux on your PS3 Empty Re: Install Linux on your PS3 Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:32 am

AOG-Gideon

AOG-Gideon
Admin

nope, just rumors

5Install Linux on your PS3 Empty Re: Install Linux on your PS3 Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:57 pm

AOG-Gideon

AOG-Gideon
Admin

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum