AOG-Clan Official Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
AOG-Clan Official Forum

Army of God Clan Official Forum

First time here? Or been awhile? Please check out the Welcome Post First!!!!

You are not connected. Please login or register

PS3 Media Server Install and Use

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1PS3 Media Server Install and Use Empty PS3 Media Server Install and Use Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:15 am

AOG-Gideon

AOG-Gideon
Admin

**Click Here for the best video on how to set this up**

The PS3 can be setup to communicate with a Media Server computer in your network.

What can you do with the PS3 Media Server?
- Your PS3 would then be able to view any pictures, music, or video that you "allow" the PS3 to access from your computer.
- Also, those movies that won't play on your PS3, "Data Type Not Supported", in most cases will play through the Media Server if it supports Transcoding.

To set up PS3 Media Server;

First you need a computer that is on the same network as your PS3.
If you have a router, make sure that UPnP is enabled on your router. If you made a change to your router settings, then you will have to re-do your network settings on your PS3.

Go to your computer and download a Media Server software. There are many out there and Windows Media Player 11 has a built in Media Server function, however, I have not used it and have been told it is difficult to configure.
I use PS3 Media Server made by some guy in his basement you can find it here PS3 Media Server. It is free, simple, uses Transcoding, and works.

Once installed, launch your Media Server and make sure you add the drives, folders, files that should be allowed. This is usually on an allowed list, permitted list, shared list, or files list.
If you are using the same PS3 Media Server that I use, then you will find this under the Navigation tab, just click the green plus symbol and specify what you want to share. I put all my media files in one folder with subfolders for each type of media, video, pics, music, etc... and then just told PS3 Media Server that is the file to share with my PS3.

There are many other settings with little to no description, remember, if you have a question about something, Google is your friend, so am I.

Go to your PS3 and enable Media Server;
Settings > Network Settings > Media Server Connection

Go to video, music, or picture, scroll to the top and select "Search for Media Servers" after a short bit, you should see yours.

Now any shared file on your computer can come up on your TV. Grab some popcorn and watch a movie that you downloaded.

**Note**
I do not recommend you use pirated media, as it is illegal. But if you use P2P or Torrents, there is something you should know.

P2P programs like LimeWire give themselves a higher priority on your computer than your virus scanner and firewall. If you accidentally download a virus, it might infect your computer before your scanner can catch it and quarantine it.
Also, P2P programs like LimeWire are connecting your computer to a Peer to Peer network, acting as a liason to send and recieve files. This is the most unsecure way you can operate a computer. By using a P2P program, you are opening up ports that can be hacked through and is a serious security risk.

Torrents - People love using bit torrent programs for the speed and massive amounts of movies and such, but it is raping your hard drive.
Torrents download multiple files at a time from different locations and save them to your hard drive in different physical locations on the disk. This causes the drive head to operate the entire time you are downloading. The drive head is moving all over the place as fast as it can go for the entire download. Keep in mind that the drive head is mechanical. Think about your car, how many times have you had to replace your electronic locks, or stereo as oppossed to a mechanical part of the car.

Free movies are great, but they really aren't free when your computer is infected with a virus, getting hacked, or complete data loss from a failed hard drive.

Always do routine backups of your data to a different drive or external drive.

Worried about getting caught downloading pirated media?
Use an unsecured wireless router. If they knock on your door, just say, I didn't do it, my wireless router is unsecured, it must have been someone else. If they push it, tell them to get a warrant to search your computer and close the door. Next step, use a file shredder and wipe your drive like 10 times.

**Click Here for the best video on how to set this up**

Last edited by AOG-Gideon on Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

2PS3 Media Server Install and Use Empty Re: PS3 Media Server Install and Use Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:49 am

AOG_shogunned

Squad Lead

my frnd did that he had to wipe his hard drive and get all his work back then they came again so he bought a new comp and put the old one in the back room with one of those wireless sticks and his dad hacked the shit out of it so i went through alberta and a couple other places then back now they have a strictly pirating comp

3PS3 Media Server Install and Use Empty Re: PS3 Media Server Install and Use Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:21 pm

AOG-HitmanSnipe

AOG-HitmanSnipe
Squad Lead

i use version v1.00 it works fine easy to
heres link

Click Me

4PS3 Media Server Install and Use Empty Re: PS3 Media Server Install and Use Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:57 pm

AOG-Gideon

AOG-Gideon
Admin

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum